What causes postdrome phase?

The postdrome phase occurs as the very last phase of a migraine headache. The migraine is initiated by a change in the nervous system with the postdrome phase being the aftereffects of the headache. Since the postdrome phase leaves an individual with the feeling of a hangover, some researchers believe that it could be caused by irregular blood flow to the brain at the end of the headache. Others have proposed that some symptoms are caused by hormone production linked to the migraine. Some could also be caused by the migraine medications one takes during the headache.

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Causes

Why do I get headaches during my menstrual period?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Estrogen and other hormones increase and then begin to cycle at puberty, resulting in a surge in...
As a migraine sufferer, how can I reduce my risk of stroke?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
First, it’s important to know that migraine sufferers do have a higher risk of stroke and other ...
What Does My Family Need to Know If I've Been Diagnosed with Migraine?
Are There Different Types of Migraines?
Are There Different Types of Migraines?