How do migraine headaches affect pregnant women?

It is rare that a woman will experience a migraine for the first time in pregnancy. In fact, for some women who suffer migraines, migraine pain is less severe in the second and third trimesters of their pregnancy because estrogen levels are stable, but they recur after pregnancy when estrogen levels decrease. It is important to be careful when treating a migraine or any type of headache during pregnancy, though. Over-the-counter and prescription medications for headache pain may not be safe for your baby. Talk with your doctor about the best ways you can treat your headaches during your pregnancy

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Causes

Do genetics play a role in migraines?
Mark W. Green, MDMark W. Green, MD
What role does family history play in migraines? In this video, Mark Green, MD, director of the Cent...
If I have migraines, how likely is it my daughters will also have them?
Teri RobertTeri Robert
If there's a history of Migraine on your side of the family only, there's a 50% chance of your daugh...
Are Migraine Headaches Genetic?
Are Migraine Headaches Genetic?
Can Children Get Migraines?
Can Children Get Migraines?