How do migraine headaches affect pregnant women?

It is rare that a woman will experience a migraine for the first time in pregnancy. In fact, for some women who suffer migraines, migraine pain is less severe in the second and third trimesters of their pregnancy because estrogen levels are stable, but they recur after pregnancy when estrogen levels decrease. It is important to be careful when treating a migraine or any type of headache during pregnancy, though. Over-the-counter and prescription medications for headache pain may not be safe for your baby. Talk with your doctor about the best ways you can treat your headaches during your pregnancy

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Causes

Can migraines during pregnancy affect my baby?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Women with migraines are not at increased risk for having a baby with birth defects or giving bi...
Are my migraines related to my menstrual cycle?
Steven A. Meyers, MDSteven A. Meyers, MD
Migraines can be related to menstruation. Many women who have migraines report that they are more li...
Migraines and Menstruation
Migraines and Menstruation
Can Medications for Other Conditions Worsen Migraines?