As a migraine sufferer, how can I reduce my risk of stroke?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
First, it’s important to know that migraine sufferers do have a higher risk of stroke and other types of heart and vascular diseases. Second, reduce your risk by improving those risk factors that you can:
  • Do 30 minutes of aerobic exercise five days weekly.
  • Keep your weight down.
  • Make sure your blood pressure is in a good range.
  • Check your cholesterol and triglyceride levels and make sure they are
           in normal ranges.
  • Avoid cigarettes and other tobacco products.
  • Eat a healthy diet, including nutrients rich in omega-3 fatty acids
           (like walnuts).
Remember, you may have several risk factors you can’t control -- like your family history and whether or not you get migraines. But there is a lot you can do to reduce your other risk factors.

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Causes

Can certain food cause migraines?
Dr. William Wien, DODr. William Wien, DO
A chemical called tyramine found in certain foods and beverages is known to trigger migraines in sen...
Do genetics play a role in migraines?
Mark W. Green, MDMark W. Green, MD
What role does family history play in migraines? In this video, Mark Green, MD, director of the Cent...
What Treatment Is There for Migraine?
What Treatment Is There for Migraine?
Migraines and Menstruation
Migraines and Menstruation