What are symptoms of a middle ear infection in children?

Symptoms of a middle ear infection may include: ear pain, pulling or rubbing of the ear, fussiness, fever, headache, nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, or loss of hearing. Babies may run a high fever, be very fussy, or have symptoms of a cold. Children may also have no obvious symptoms.

Continue Learning about Middle Ear Infection in Children

What's the difference between a middle and outer ear infection in my child?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
A middle ear infection (otitis media) occurs when fluid becomes infected behind the eardrum. This ty...
When should I call my child's doctor for otitis media (ear infection)?
If you suspect you or your child may have acute otitis media, or a middle ear infection, it is impor...
How can I tell if my child has an ear infection?
CareNowCareNow
You may be able to tell if your child has an ear infection if your child has ear pain on one side an...
When Should I Take a Child to the Doctor for an Ear Infection?