What should parents do to prevent their children from developing otitis?

There is definitely a common condition that occurs frequently in children, and is not considered a disease: acute otitis externa. It’s an infection of the external ear canal. This can be treated very easily, but it’s important to be careful with such infections.

There really are no preventive measures for the ears. Some children may have had procedures of the tympanic membrane for other reasons. Then, obviously they have to cover their ears when bathing in the pool. With other children, there’s usually nothing to do to prevent this kind of infection. It commonly occurs like any other type of infection.

Continue Learning about Middle Ear Infection in Children

When would my child need ear tubes placed for an ear infection?
Nina L. Shapiro, MDNina L. Shapiro, MD
Ear tubes are tiny plastic tubes, about 1.2 millimeters (mm) in size, which are placed into a child'...
What causes a middle ear infection in children?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
A middle ear infection is caused by a bacteria (germ) or virus. It happens in the space behind the e...
Why does my child need ear tubes?
Many, many kids between the ages of six months and two years get middle ear infections (otitis medi...
When Should I Take a Child to the Doctor for an Ear Infection?