What causes a middle ear infection in children?

A middle ear infection is caused by a bacteria (germ) or virus. It happens in the space behind the eardrum. If this space is blocked or clogged by a cold or allergy, it can fill with fluid. The fluid can cause a decrease in hearing for a while until the space is clear again. The fluid can also become infected.

Continue Learning about Middle Ear Infection in Children

How are recurring ear infections treated in children?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Some children have repeated ear infections. You may be referred to an ear, nose, and throat doctor f...
How would my child be treated for a middle ear infection?
CareNowCareNow
Your child’s doctor may prescribe antibiotics to treat a middle ear infection. If your child’s docto...
What causes ear infections in babies?
Woodrow C. Marriott, MDWoodrow C. Marriott, MD
In the first year of life, the most common age for getting ear infections is approximately 9 mon...
When Should I Take a Child to the Doctor for an Ear Infection?