What causes a middle ear infection in children?

A middle ear infection is caused by a bacteria (germ) or virus. It happens in the space behind the eardrum. If this space is blocked or clogged by a cold or allergy, it can fill with fluid. The fluid can cause a decrease in hearing for a while until the space is clear again. The fluid can also become infected.

Continue Learning about Middle Ear Infection in Children

What symptoms would my child have from a middle ear infection?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Your child may have one or several of the following:Fever (temperature over 100.3°F)Ear pain or pull...
How are recurring ear infections treated in children?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Some children have repeated ear infections. You may be referred to an ear, nose, and throat doctor f...
What should parents do to prevent their children from developing otitis?
Manuel B. Torres Jr., MDManuel B. Torres Jr., MD
There is definitely a common condition that occurs frequently in children, and is not considered a d...
When Should I Take a Child to the Doctor for an Ear Infection?