How are recurring ear infections treated in children?

Some children have repeated ear infections. You may be referred to an ear, nose, and throat doctor for ear tubes. This tube allows air into the middle ear while helping the fluid drain out. This usually prevents further infections. The procedure is done as outpatient surgery, which means your child will be in the hospital a short time and not have to stay overnight.

Continue Learning about Middle Ear Infection in Children

What symptoms would my child have from a middle ear infection?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Your child may have one or several of the following:Fever (temperature over 100.3°F)Ear pain or pull...
What causes ear infections in babies?
Woodrow C. Marriott, MDWoodrow C. Marriott, MD
In the first year of life, the most common age for getting ear infections is approximately 9 mon...
Should I talk to a doctor about my child's acute otitis media symptoms?
If you suspect you or your child may have acute otitis media, or a middle ear infection, it is impor...
When Should I Take a Child to the Doctor for an Ear Infection?