How are recurring ear infections treated in children?

Some children have repeated ear infections. You may be referred to an ear, nose, and throat doctor for ear tubes. This tube allows air into the middle ear while helping the fluid drain out. This usually prevents further infections. The procedure is done as outpatient surgery, which means your child will be in the hospital a short time and not have to stay overnight.

Continue Learning about Middle Ear Infection in Children

What causes a middle ear infection in children?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
A middle ear infection is caused by a bacteria (germ) or virus. It happens in the space behind the e...
When would my child need ear tubes placed for an ear infection?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Your pediatrician may recommend that your child see a specialist for ear tubes if she has had the fo...
What should parents do to prevent their children from developing otitis?
Manuel B. Torres Jr., MDManuel B. Torres Jr., MD
There is definitely a common condition that occurs frequently in children, and is not considered a d...
When Should I Take a Child to the Doctor for an Ear Infection?