What's the difference between a middle and outer ear infection in my child?

A middle ear infection (otitis media) occurs when fluid becomes infected behind the eardrum. This type of infection is more likely when your child has a cold.

An outer ear infection (otitis media, swimmer's ear) occurs when the skin lining the ear canal becomes infected. It is usually caused by water getting trapped or trauma (such as from a cotton swab); bacteria then grows. Outer ear infections are very painful, especially when you touch or tug on the ear. Treatment is with antibiotic eardrops.

Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Middle Ear Infection in Children

What causes a middle ear infection in children?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
A middle ear infection is caused by a bacteria (germ) or virus. It happens in the space behind the e...
What causes ear infections in babies?
Woodrow C. Marriott, MDWoodrow C. Marriott, MD
In the first year of life, the most common age for getting ear infections is approximately 9 mon...
What symptoms would my child have from a middle ear infection?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Your child may have one or several of the following:Fever (temperature over 100.3°F)Ear pain or pull...
When Should I Take a Child to the Doctor for an Ear Infection?