What's the difference between a middle and outer ear infection in my child?

A middle ear infection (otitis media) occurs when fluid becomes infected behind the eardrum. This type of infection is more likely when your child has a cold.

An outer ear infection (otitis media, swimmer's ear) occurs when the skin lining the ear canal becomes infected. It is usually caused by water getting trapped or trauma (such as from a cotton swab); bacteria then grows. Outer ear infections are very painful, especially when you touch or tug on the ear. Treatment is with antibiotic eardrops.

Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Middle Ear Infection in Children

What should parents do to prevent their children from developing otitis?
Manuel B. Torres Jr., MDManuel B. Torres Jr., MD
There is definitely a common condition that occurs frequently in children, and is not considered a d...
What are symptoms of a middle ear infection in children?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Symptoms of a middle ear infection may include: ear pain, pulling or rubbing of the ear, fussiness, ...
When should I call my child's doctor for otitis media (ear infection)?
When your child has a middle ear infection, call your doctor if: You give pain medicine and your ...
When Should I Take a Child to the Doctor for an Ear Infection?