What is microdermabrasion for acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Microdermabrasion is a procedure in which fine crystals are blasted at the skin and then vacuumed back away from the skin. These two components help clean out the pores temporarily and make the skin feel smoother. Usually a series of five to seven microdermabrasion treatments are done to get optimal results, followed by maintenance treatments every 6 to 8 weeks. No really good studies exist showing the benefits of microdermabrasion; however, plenty of anecdotal evidence suggests that it does help in the treatment of acne.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Microdermabrasion

What are the benefits of microdermabrasion?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
I am a big believer in microdermabrasion. But let's be honest: the procedure is simply a very go...
What is microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion uses crystals or a diamond tip to lightly smooth the top layer of your skin. It is...
What does microdermabrasion do?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
This is a treatment in which fine, inert crystals made of aluminum oxide crystals or salt crysta...
Is an at home microdermabrasion bad for me?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
There are many different home microdermabrasion kits available and it really depends on the ingredie...