What does microdermabrasion do?

Tara Whitworth
Nursing
Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure that exfoliates top layer of skin, reducing the appearance of damaged skin and light scars. It may also reduce the appearance of dark spots. This procedure is done in the office and is not painful. 

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
This is a treatment in which fine, inert crystals made of aluminum oxide crystals or salt crystals are applied with varying degrees of pressure to your skin to loosen the outer layer of dead cells. The cells are then vacuumed up using a suction device. The strength of the application and suction can be increased or decreased to achieve a more superficial or deeper effect. The result is an immediately smoother looking skin with fewer fine lines and a more even skin tone. The appearance of some types of acne scars will also be minimized. A series of five to seven treatments are required to provide the best results. I recommend one to two treatments per month for a series of four to six treatments followed by maintenance treatments at six to eight week intervals. The treatments can also be done to smooth the lines on the chest, to treat bumps on the arms called keratosis pillars, and to treat acne on the back or the buttocks.

Microdermabrasion blasts away the outermost layer of your skin cells to give you smoother skin and help with acne scars. A small device sprays your face with aluminum oxide crystals and then vacuums them up.

Continue Learning about Microdermabrasion

What is microdermabrasion for acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Microdermabrasion is a procedure in which fine crystals are blasted at the skin and then vacuume...
What should I know if I'm considering a microdermabrasion?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure that exfoliates top layer of skin, reducing the appearance...
Is microdermabrasion effective in treating wrinkles and scars?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Over a million microdermabrasion procedures were performed in plastic surgeons' offices alone in...
Do at-home microdermabrasion kits really work?
A home microdermabrasion kit may work for you, depending on your skin type and condition. Talk t...