What does microdermabrasion do?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
This is a treatment in which fine, inert crystals made of aluminum oxide crystals or salt crystals are applied with varying degrees of pressure to your skin to loosen the outer layer of dead cells. The cells are then vacuumed up using a suction device. The strength of the application and suction can be increased or decreased to achieve a more superficial or deeper effect. The result is an immediately smoother looking skin with fewer fine lines and a more even skin tone. The appearance of some types of acne scars will also be minimized. A series of five to seven treatments are required to provide the best results. I recommend one to two treatments per month for a series of four to six treatments followed by maintenance treatments at six to eight week intervals. The treatments can also be done to smooth the lines on the chest, to treat bumps on the arms called keratosis pillars, and to treat acne on the back or the buttocks.
Tara Whitworth
Nursing
Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure that exfoliates top layer of skin, reducing the appearance of damaged skin and light scars. It may also reduce the appearance of dark spots. This procedure is done in the office and is not painful. 

Microdermabrasion blasts away the outermost layer of your skin cells to give you smoother skin and help with acne scars. A small device sprays your face with aluminum oxide crystals and then vacuums them up.

Continue Learning about Microdermabrasion

What is microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion uses crystals or a diamond tip to lightly smooth the top layer of your skin. It is...
What should I know if I'm considering a microdermabrasion?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure that exfoliates top layer of skin, reducing the appearance...
How often is it okay to get microdermabrasion?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Microdermabrasion is helpful for treating fine facial wrinkles, superficial age spots, sun-damaged s...
Is an at home microdermabrasion bad for me?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
There are many different home microdermabrasion kits available and it really depends on the ingredie...