What are the treatment options for methanol poisoning?

Treatment for methanol poisoning should begin as soon as possible and will usually be done in an intensive care unit. Treatment typically focuses on stabilizing your condition and providing an antidote to stop the damage of the poison. The most common antidotes are ethanol or a substance called fomepizole. You may also need to have your stomach pumped or be put on dialysis. Your treatment may also involve medications to help relieve the unpleasant symptoms associated with methanol poisoning.

Continue Learning about Methanol Poisoning

Does the route of exposure to methanol affect methanol poisoning?
The route of exposure can affect the course of methanol poisoning in your body. Methanol exposure ca...
What should I do if I think someone has methanol poisoning?
Methanol poisoning can be deadly and treatment should begin immediately in suspected cases. If you t...
What are the symptoms of methanol poisoning?
Symptoms of methanol poisoning involve many parts of the body and progress with time. The central ne...
How do medications treat methanol poisoning?
Fomepizole and ethanol are the two most common antidotes used to treat methanol poisoning. After ing...