What other conditions may resemble methanol poisoning?

The diagnosis of methanol poisoning may be difficult because it may resemble other types of poisoning. The initial state of drunkenness that occurs may resemble ethanol intoxication, but vision problems may make this condition distinguishable from methanol poisoning. A detailed patient history and review of total symptoms, especially visual impairment, help to make a definitive diagnosis. Prompt treatment for methanol poisoning with dialysis and fomepizole should begin in even suspected cases to prevent permanent damage.

Continue Learning about Methanol Poisoning

What is the rate of incidence for methanol poisoning?
It is estimated that in 2009, nearly 2.5 million people reported some sort of substance poisoning. O...
Can household pets develop methanol poisoning?
After humans are exposed to methanol, the dangerous symptoms result when methanol is transformed int...
What should I do if I think someone has methanol poisoning?
Methanol poisoning can be deadly and treatment should begin immediately in suspected cases. If you t...
Should a doctor be contacted if methanol poisoning is suspected?
If methanol poisoning is suspected, medical help should be sought immediately as methanol can have q...