Advertisement

What is methanol poisoning?

Methanol, or wood alcohol, is found in many everyday products, including antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, shellac, varnish, and copy machine fluid. Even small amounts of methanol are toxic if a person is exposed to it. Exposure to methanol can be by ingestion, inhalation, or through the skin. Symptoms of methanol poisoning affect many parts of the body, including the eyes, lungs, heart, muscles, brain, liver, and stomach. If the exposure involves enough methanol, death can result. Treatment should be immediate and includes dialysis to remove the methanol from the body and the use of methanol antidotes.

Continue Learning about Methanol Poisoning

How do medications treat methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Fomepizole and ethanol are the two most common antidotes used to treat methanol poisoning. After ing...
More Answers
What are the treatment options for methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Treatment for methanol poisoning should begin as soon as possible and will usually be done in an int...
More Answers
What should I do if I think someone has methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Methanol poisoning can be deadly and treatment should begin immediately in suspected cases. If you t...
More Answers
Does the route of exposure to methanol affect methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
The route of exposure can affect the course of methanol poisoning in your body. Methanol exposure ca...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.