What is methanol poisoning?

Methanol, or wood alcohol, is found in many everyday products, including antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, shellac, varnish, and copy machine fluid. Even small amounts of methanol are toxic if a person is exposed to it. Exposure to methanol can be by ingestion, inhalation, or through the skin. Symptoms of methanol poisoning affect many parts of the body, including the eyes, lungs, heart, muscles, brain, liver, and stomach. If the exposure involves enough methanol, death can result. Treatment should be immediate and includes dialysis to remove the methanol from the body and the use of methanol antidotes.

Continue Learning about Methanol Poisoning

Do other diseases or conditions affect methanol poisoning?
Those suffering from central nervous system or eye disorders may suffer from more severe cases of me...
What are the symptoms of methanol poisoning?
Symptoms of methanol poisoning involve many parts of the body and progress with time. The central ne...
What causes methanol poisoning?
Methanol poisoning occurs after exposure to methyl alcohol, also known as wood alcohol. Methanol is ...
What should I do if I think someone has methanol poisoning?
Methanol poisoning can be deadly and treatment should begin immediately in suspected cases. If you t...