Advertisement

What causes methanol poisoning?

Methanol poisoning occurs after exposure to methyl alcohol, also known as wood alcohol. Methanol is found in numerous household and automobile-related items, including antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, shellac, varnish, paint thinner, and copy machine fluid, and can also be found in whiskey that has been contaminated. Toxic exposure is usually through the mouth and is typically an accident or part of a suicide attempt. Two to eight ounces of methanol is enough to be lethal in adults.

Continue Learning about Methanol Poisoning

How does methanol poisoning affect the body?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Methanol has a quick and profound effect on the body. Once ingested, the body changes methanol into ...
More Answers
Does methanol poisoning affect children differently than adults?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
The amount of methanol that can be lethal in a child is just two tablespoons, while an adult require...
More Answers
Do other diseases or conditions affect methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Those suffering from central nervous system or eye disorders may suffer from more severe cases of me...
More Answers
What are the treatment options for methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Treatment for methanol poisoning should begin as soon as possible and will usually be done in an int...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.