Advertisement

Is methanol poisoning serious?

Methanol poisoning is very serious; if not treated promptly it can lead to significant health consequences and death. Even with treatment, permanent visual impairment, blindness, and other physical disabilities can remain. Survivors of methanol poisoning may be left suffering with symptoms similar to Parkinson's disease or dementia. If left untreated until the poisoning is severe, death can result.

Continue Learning about Methanol Poisoning

What causes methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Methanol poisoning occurs after exposure to methyl alcohol, also known as wood alcohol. Methanol is ...
More Answers
Does the route of exposure to methanol affect methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
The route of exposure can affect the course of methanol poisoning in your body. Methanol exposure ca...
More Answers
What are the long-term effects of methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Even after treatment, severe methanol poisoning can leave survivors with long-term effects, usually ...
More Answers
What should I do if I think someone has methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Methanol poisoning can be deadly and treatment should begin immediately in suspected cases. If you t...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.