How does methanol poisoning affect the body?

Methanol has a quick and profound effect on the body. Once ingested, the body changes methanol into formaldehyde and formic acid. Formic acid begins to build up in your body, and when it does, it does serious damage to your central nervous system. The chemicals depress the central nerves, causing symptoms that may include sleepiness, confusion, difficulty breathing, seizures, or coma. They also have an acute effect on your eyes; soon after exposure, you may have difficulty seeing and things may seem dimmer. If the case is severe enough, you may go completely blind.

Continue Learning about Methanol Poisoning

What causes methanol poisoning?
Methanol poisoning occurs after exposure to methyl alcohol, also known as wood alcohol. Methanol is ...
What other conditions may resemble methanol poisoning?
The diagnosis of methanol poisoning may be difficult because it may resemble other types of poisonin...
Is methanol poisoning serious?
Methanol poisoning is very serious; if not treated promptly it can lead to significant health conseq...
What should I do if I think someone has methanol poisoning?
Methanol poisoning can be deadly and treatment should begin immediately in suspected cases. If you t...