Advertisement

Does methanol poisoning affect children differently than adults?

The amount of methanol that can be lethal in a child is just two tablespoons, while an adult requires over two ounces for the dose to be deadly. Keeping chemicals like paint thinner, varnish, shellac, antifreeze, and windshield wiper fluid properly stored and away from children is essential to prevent accidental poisoning. Children may be more sensitive to the toxic effects of methanol. They also may be more likely to suffer from low blood sugar if treated with ethanol, an antidote to methanol.

Continue Learning about Methanol Poisoning

What is the rate of incidence for methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
It is estimated that in 2009, nearly 2.5 million people reported some sort of substance poisoning. O...
More Answers
Does the route of exposure to methanol affect methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
The route of exposure can affect the course of methanol poisoning in your body. Methanol exposure ca...
More Answers
What are the long-term effects of methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Even after treatment, severe methanol poisoning can leave survivors with long-term effects, usually ...
More Answers
How do medications treat methanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Fomepizole and ethanol are the two most common antidotes used to treat methanol poisoning. After ing...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.