Why does metformin make me nauseated?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
It appears that some people may be terminating metformin, a medication commonly prescribed for diabetes, due to complaints of nausea, stomach pain, and unpleasant after-taste. It appears the nausea is more a result of the smell of the medication than a side-effect of the drug. Eau de metformin has been described as fishy, rotten, or like a sweaty sock. Luckily, the coating on the extended-release tablets seems to protect patients from that smell.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
What are the side effects of metformin?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Metformin is prescribed for people with type 2 diabetes. Like any medication, it carries the ris...
Do I have to monitor my blood glucose levels if I am on metformin?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Not everyone agrees with me on this, but I very strongly feel that everyone with diabetes should be ...
Who should take metformin?
People with type 2 diabetes who have not been able to control their condition through diet and e...