Why is metformin a key medication for people with diabetes?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
For many years, the first-line medication for Type-2 Diabetes has been the pill called metformin (a.k.a. Glucophage, the "sugar eater"). But diabetes is a chronic and progressive disease. As it progresses, keeping the sugar in your blood in check becomes increasingly more difficult. Over the years, your medications need to be increased, added on to, and ultimately replaced with more powerful medications.

But studies show that patients who were left on metformin when they got new medications had fewer heart attacks. No one really understands it yet, but once metformin ceases to be effective against sugar, it seems to continue to serve as armor for your heart.
Diabetes Warrior: Be your own knight in shining armor. How to stay healthy and happy with diabetes.

You survived the first year: now there is more to learn... Knights? Dragons? Diabetes?! Yep, armed with a wickedly sharp sense of humor and a medieval metaphor, Taming the Tiger author William Lee...

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
Can I drink wine if I take metformin?
You should not drink wine or any other alcoholic beverage while you're taking metformin (Glucophag...
If I'm going to have surgery, can I keep taking my metformin?
If you are going to have surgery, talk to your doctor about whether you can keep taking metformin ...
Can I take metformin with insulin for my type 2 diabetes?
Metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) is a prescription medication that helps to control blood sugar le...