Who should not take Glumetza?

Certain people should not take Glumetza (metformin extended release) because of the risk of serious side effects or complications. If you're allergic to any ingredient in Glumetza, or have kidney or liver problems, you should not take this medication. People with heart problems, especially those who take medication to treat heart failure, should not take Glumetza. Because of the risk for a serious condition called lactic acidosis, people with metabolic acidosis (including diabetic ketoacidosis) should not take Glumetza. Also, it is not recommended for children under 18 years of age because its safety and effectiveness is not proven.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
Is my metformin tablet working if it sometimes shows up in the toilet?
If you're taking extended-release metformin tablets for type 2 diabetes, the shell of the tablet m...
What happens if I miss a dose of metformin?
MediGuardMediGuard
You want your glucose readings to go down and not up when you are treating diabetes. Don't skip a da...
Are there any risks in taking metformin?
Metformin can cause a rare but sometimes fatal condition called lactic acidosis. This is more co...