Who should not take Glumetza?

Certain people should not take Glumetza (metformin extended release) because of the risk of serious side effects or complications. If you're allergic to any ingredient in Glumetza, or have kidney or liver problems, you should not take this medication. People with heart problems, especially those who take medication to treat heart failure, should not take Glumetza. Because of the risk for a serious condition called lactic acidosis, people with metabolic acidosis (including diabetic ketoacidosis) should not take Glumetza. Also, it is not recommended for children under 18 years of age because its safety and effectiveness is not proven.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Can I drink wine if I take metformin?
You should not drink wine or any other alcoholic beverage while you're taking metformin (Glucophag...
Can I take metformin with insulin for my type 2 diabetes?
Metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) is a prescription medication that helps to control blood sugar le...
What are the side effects of metformin?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Metformin is prescribed for people with type 2 diabetes. Like any medication, it carries the ris...