When should I call my doctor if I am taking Riomet?

Riomet (metformin) may cause a rare but serious side effect called lactic acidosis, particularly in people with kidney problems. Symptoms of lactic acidosis include tiredness, a general feeling of being unwell, trouble breathing, hyperventilation, muscle pain or abdominal pain. Call for emergency medical help right away if you develop these symptoms while taking Riomet.

Riomet may cause blood sugar levels to become too high, a condition called hyperglycemia that can cause extreme thirst or hunger, weakness, frequent urination and blurred vision. Call your doctor immediately if you develop any of these symptoms. Riomet can also cause blood sugar levels to drop too low, which is known as hypoglycemia. You can treat the symptoms of hypoglycemia, such as shakiness, dizziness, weakness, sweating, hunger and numbness around the mouth, by eating or drinking something with sugar and following any other directions your doctor may give you. Extreme hypoglycemia can cause seizures, loss of consciousness or confusion, which means you won't be able to get help for yourself. Make sure everyone you spend time with regularly knows about these symptoms and to get medical help for you immediately.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
If I get dehydrated, can I keep taking my metformin?
If you become dehydrated while on metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a drug used to treat type 2 ...
Could I be allergic to metformin?
It's possible to be allergic to metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a prescription medication that's...
What happens if I miss a dose of metformin?
MediGuardMediGuard
You want your glucose readings to go down and not up when you are treating diabetes. Don't skip a da...