What are the side effects of Riomet?

The most common side effects of Riomet (metformin) are diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, flatulence, indigestion, abdominal discomfort, weakness and headache. Other side effects may include a metallic taste in the mouth, increased sweating, chest pain, flu symptoms, heart palpitations, shortness of breath and nail problems.

Riomet may cause blood sugar levels to become too high, a condition called hyperglycemia that can cause extreme thirst or hunger, weakness, frequent urination and blurred vision. Call your doctor immediately if you develop any of these symptoms. Riomet can also cause blood sugar levels to drop too low, which is known as hypoglycemia. You can treat the symptoms of hypoglycemia, such as shakiness, dizziness, weakness, sweating, hunger and numbness around the mouth, by eating or drinking something with sugar and following any other directions your doctor may give you. Extreme hypoglycemia can cause seizures, loss of consciousness or confusion, which means you won't be able to get help for yourself. Make sure everyone you spend time with regularly knows about these symptoms and to get medical help for you immediately.

A rare side effect of Riomet is a condition called lactic acidosis that can develop if a person taking this drug also drinks too much alcohol or drinks too often. Lactic acidosis causes nausea and weakness and likely requires hospitalization. Talk to your doctor about how much alcohol you can safely drink while you're taking Riomet.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Do I have to monitor my blood glucose levels if I am on metformin?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Not everyone agrees with me on this, but I very strongly feel that everyone with diabetes should be ...
If I'm sick and can't eat, can I take my metformin without food?
You should always take the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) with a meal, so if you...
Can I take metformin with insulin for my type 2 diabetes?
Metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) is a prescription medication that helps to control blood sugar le...