What is Glucophage?

Glucophage (metformin) is a prescription drug used to treat type 2 diabetes. People with this disease are less sensitive to insulin, which the body uses to control levels of blood sugar (glucose). If blood sugar stays too high for a prolonged period, it can seriously damage blood vessels and the heart and other organs.

Glucophage works by increasing a person's sensitivity to insulin. It also decreases the amount of glucose a person absorbs from food and the amount of glucose produced by the liver.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
How does metformin interact with other medications or foods?
Medications that interact with metformin include digoxin, cimetidine, furosemide, nifedipine, am...
Can I take metformin with insulin for my type 2 diabetes?
Metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) is a prescription medication that helps to control blood sugar le...
Can my child with type 2 diabetes take metformin?
Your child with type 2 diabetes may be able to take metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a drug use...