What should I avoid while taking metformin?

You should avoid excessive amounts of alcohol if you are taking metformin. Alcohol can increase the risk of side effects and may contribute to the risk of a rare but extremely serious condition called lactic acidosis. Avoid other medications that are known to be toxic to the kidneys. If you are thinking of becoming pregnant or are pregnant, talk to your doctor before taking this drug. Avoid breastfeeding and talk to your doctor, as while it has not been proven that metformin is found in breast milk, many drugs can be passed from mother to child in this manner.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
Can taking metformin help me live longer?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
There's one intriguing fact about metformin: it may increase longevity. Some of you may know that se...
What is the right dose of taking Metformin if my blood sugar is increasing?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Was it Shakespeare that said “a man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client?” Regardless, I ...
Does metformin cause kidney damage?
Metformin by itself is unlikeley to cause kidney damage, but it is known to be excreted by the k...