What should I avoid while taking metformin?

You should avoid excessive amounts of alcohol if you are taking metformin. Alcohol can increase the risk of side effects and may contribute to the risk of a rare but extremely serious condition called lactic acidosis. Avoid other medications that are known to be toxic to the kidneys. If you are thinking of becoming pregnant or are pregnant, talk to your doctor before taking this drug. Avoid breastfeeding and talk to your doctor, as while it has not been proven that metformin is found in breast milk, many drugs can be passed from mother to child in this manner.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
How does the diabetes drug glucophage work?
Glucophage (metformin) treats type 2 diabetes by helping to control the amount of glucose (sugar) in...
Can Metformin cause kidney problems?
MediGuardMediGuard
Actually, metformin is usually not the original cause of kidney problems.  However, metformin is eli...
Can I take metformin if I have kidney problems?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Metformin carries a low risk of lactic acidosis, a very serious side effect. Lactic acid is a chemic...