What should I avoid while taking metformin?

You should avoid excessive amounts of alcohol if you are taking metformin. Alcohol can increase the risk of side effects and may contribute to the risk of a rare but extremely serious condition called lactic acidosis. Avoid other medications that are known to be toxic to the kidneys. If you are thinking of becoming pregnant or are pregnant, talk to your doctor before taking this drug. Avoid breastfeeding and talk to your doctor, as while it has not been proven that metformin is found in breast milk, many drugs can be passed from mother to child in this manner.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
Why does metformin make me nauseated?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
It appears that some people may be terminating metformin, a medication commonly prescribed for d...
Are runners more likely to get lactic acidosis from taking metformin?
Runners who take the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) and become dehydrated may be...
Are there any risks in taking metformin?
Metformin can cause a rare but sometimes fatal condition called lactic acidosis. This is more co...