What should I avoid while taking Glumetza (metformin)?

If you are taking Glumetza (metformin), there are several things you should avoid in order to reduce the risk of possible side effects. Avoid drinking a lot of alcohol while taking Glumetza. This includes drinking a lot of alcohol on a regular basis, and binge drinking (drinking a lot of alcohol in a short period of time). Alcohol may increase the risk of lactic acidosis, a serious medical condition that may cause death. Alcohol can also affect blood sugar levels of people with Type 2 diabetes. You should also avoid becoming dehydrated if at all possible; drink a lot of water while taking Glumetza to reduce the risk for lactic acidosis. Also, you should not stop, start, or change the dosage of any prescription or nonprescription medications while taking Glumetza without first talking with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
If I'm sick and can't eat, can I take my metformin without food?
You should always take the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) with a meal, so if you...
Is my metformin tablet working if it sometimes shows up in the toilet?
If you're taking extended-release metformin tablets for type 2 diabetes, the shell of the tablet m...
What happens if I drink a lot while I am taking metformin?
Drinking a lot of alcohol while taking metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), especially over a short...