What should I avoid while taking Riomet?

You should avoid drinking large amounts of alcohol or drinking alcohol frequently while taking Riomet (metformin). Alcohol can cause blood sugar levels to drop, and it also can increase the risk of developing a serious condition called lactic acidosis. Talk with your doctor about how much alcohol you can safely drink while taking Riomet.

Other drugs and supplements may affect the way your body responds to Riomet, so be sure to tell your doctor about all other medications, vitamins and supplements you are taking before you start using Riomet.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
What happens if I miss a dose of metformin?
If you miss a dose of metformin, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next...
Can I get low blood sugar levels when taking metformin?
You can develop low blood sugar (also known as hypoglycemia) while you are taking metformin (Gluco...
Is there a generic version of metformin?
Yes, metformin is a generic version of brand names Glucophage, Fortamet, Glumetza and Riomet. It...