Can I use Glucophage if I am breastfeeding?

If you are breastfeeding, you should speak to your doctor about taking the diabetes drug Glucophage (metformin). Animal research shows that the drug can pass into breast milk, but the drug hasn't been studied in nursing women.

If you take Glucophage while breastfeeding, it could cause your baby's blood sugar to become too low. Speak with your doctor about the risks and benefits of using Glucophage while breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Who should not take metformin?
People with kidney, liver or heart problems may not want to take metformin because it can cause ...
Could I be allergic to metformin?
It's possible to be allergic to metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a prescription medication that's...
What happens if I miss a dose of metformin?
MediGuardMediGuard
You want your glucose readings to go down and not up when you are treating diabetes. Don't skip a da...