Can taking metformin help me live longer?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
There's one intriguing fact about metformin: it may increase longevity. Some of you may know that severe calorie restriction, sometimes referred to as a "starvation diet," extends the life expectancy of almost all animals. Severe calorie restriction increases the function of a cell protein called AMP kinase, which in turn improves cell survival. Metformin has the same effect on AMP kinase. Studies have shown that mice treated with metformin live longer than those that are not given the medicine. This is research to watch for in the future.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
If I get dehydrated, can I keep taking my metformin?
If you become dehydrated while on metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a drug used to treat type 2 ...
Is my father at risk of lactic acidosis from taking metformin?
Anyone who takes the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) can be at risk of developing...
If I'm sick and can't eat, can I take my metformin without food?
You should always take the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) with a meal, so if you...