If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Glucophage?

If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, you should speak to your doctor about taking the diabetes drug Glucophage (metformin). It is not recommended for use during pregnancy unless it's clearly needed.

In animal studies, Glucophage has not caused birth defects, but there have been no human studies of the drug's effect during pregnancy. It is important to keep your blood sugar under control while you're pregnant, but your doctor can help you weigh the risks and benefits of taking Glucophage to do so.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
Is metformin safe for pregnant or breast-feeding women?
Metformin should not be used during pregnancy unless it is really needed and directed by the doc...
Why is metformin a key medication for people with diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
For many years, the first-line medication for Type-2 Diabetes has been the pill called metformin...
Can my child with type 2 diabetes take metformin?
Your child with type 2 diabetes may be able to take metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a drug use...