If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Glucophage?

If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, you should speak to your doctor about taking the diabetes drug Glucophage (metformin). It is not recommended for use during pregnancy unless it's clearly needed.

In animal studies, Glucophage has not caused birth defects, but there have been no human studies of the drug's effect during pregnancy. It is important to keep your blood sugar under control while you're pregnant, but your doctor can help you weigh the risks and benefits of taking Glucophage to do so.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Do I always have to take metformin with food?
You should always take your metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) with a meal, unless your doctor has g...
Can people with type 1 diabetes take metformin?
People with type 1 diabetes should not take metformin. This prescription medication for controllin...
Who should take metformin?
People with type 2 diabetes who have not been able to control their condition through diet and e...