Do I have to monitor my blood glucose levels if I am on metformin?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Not everyone agrees with me on this, but I very strongly feel that everyone with diabetes should be checking their blood sugar. Diabetes is a progressive disease, it will get worse on its own, even when you do everything right. I don’t believe in giving diabetes any foothold, handhold, or toehold in your body; and as such, the meter is the first line of defense to see change for the worst when it starts to happen. The meter is the sentinel in the watch tower.

Now many people feel that diabetics who take oral meds with little to no risk of low blood sugar, like your metformin, don’t need to be testing blood sugar because there is nothing the patient can do if they find they are high. Again, I disagree, and this time because the “fact” that there is nothing you can do is false.

First and foremost you can look at what you did to get yourself high in the first place and avoid doing it again. Testing before and several hours after various meals will help you learn what foods your body can tolerate and which ones it can’t. If you numbers are always depressingly high, no matter what you eat, then your therapy needs adjusting.

Bad numbers are good information.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Is metformin effective?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Metformin is a first-line drug recommended for almost all patients with type 2 diabetes. Studies...
Who should not take metformin?
People with kidney, liver or heart problems may not want to take metformin because it can cause ...
Could I be allergic to metformin?
It's possible to be allergic to metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a prescription medication that's...