Is metformin safe for pregnant or breast-feeding women?

Metformin should not be used during pregnancy unless it is really needed and directed by the doctor. Recent studies suggest that abnormal blood glucose levels during pregnancy can be associated with higher incidences of congenital abnormalities. Many experts recommend that insulin be used during pregnancy to maintain blood glucose levels. There are no well controlled studies in pregnant women using metformin. It is not known whether metformin is excreted in breast milk; however, many drugs can pass through breast milk and affect the baby.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
What happens if I drink a lot while I am taking metformin?
Drinking a lot of alcohol while taking metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), especially over a short...
Can the diabetes drug metformin reduce the risk of prostate cancer?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
Some studies have shown that men with diabetes are less likely to develop prostate cancer than the g...
How does metformin (Glucophage) help treat type 2 diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Metformin is an oral medicine used to treat type 2 diabetes. It lowers blood glucose by reducing...