Does metformin cause kidney damage?

Metformin by itself is unlikeley to cause kidney damage, but it is known to be excreted by the kidneys. People with kidney diseases may have problems eliminating metformin from their bodies. Metformin should not be used in people with kidney disease because of increased risk of metformin accumulation and lactic acidosis. The higher the degree of kidney impairment, the higher the risk is.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
Are runners more likely to get lactic acidosis from taking metformin?
Runners who take the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) and become dehydrated may be...
If I'm sick and can't eat, can I take my metformin without food?
You should always take the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) with a meal, so if you...
What is metformin?
Dr. Audrey K. Chun, MDDr. Audrey K. Chun, MD
Metformin is prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes and works by decreasing the amount of glucose (suga...