Does metformin cause kidney damage?

Metformin by itself is unlikeley to cause kidney damage, but it is known to be excreted by the kidneys. People with kidney diseases may have problems eliminating metformin from their bodies. Metformin should not be used in people with kidney disease because of increased risk of metformin accumulation and lactic acidosis. The higher the degree of kidney impairment, the higher the risk is.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Can my child with type 2 diabetes take metformin?
Your child with type 2 diabetes may be able to take metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a drug use...
Is my father at risk of lactic acidosis from taking metformin?
Anyone who takes the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) can be at risk of developing...
How does metformin interact with other medications or foods?
Medications that interact with metformin include digoxin, cimetidine, furosemide, nifedipine, am...