What should I know about Glumetza (metformin) before taking it?

The most important thing you should know before taking Glumetza (metformin) is that this medication may cause a rare but potentially-fatal medical condition called lactic acidosis. This condition, which is a buildup of an acid in the blood, requires emergency medical attention. Symptoms of lactic acidosis include extreme weakness or fatigue, dizziness, difficulty breathing, stomach pain combined with nausea and vomiting, unusual muscle pain, coldness in your limbs, a slow or irregular heartbeat, or other sudden changes in your medical condition. The risk for lactic acidosis with Glumetza is increased if you have liver, kidney, or heart problems, if you drink a lot of alcohol, or if you get dehydrated. Because of this, it's very important to talk to your doctor about your medical history, including medical conditions and any medications you are taking, since these could increase your risk for lactic acidosis and other side effects.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
How does metformin interact with other medications or foods?
Medications that interact with metformin include digoxin, cimetidine, furosemide, nifedipine, am...
Can my child with type 2 diabetes take metformin?
Your child with type 2 diabetes may be able to take metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a drug use...
What happens if I miss a dose of metformin?
MediGuardMediGuard
You want your glucose readings to go down and not up when you are treating diabetes. Don't skip a da...