Is my metformin tablet working if it sometimes shows up in the toilet?

If you're taking extended-release metformin tablets for type 2 diabetes, the shell of the tablet may show up in your stool. If this happens, know that it does not affect the way the medication works. By the time the shell reaches the toilet, the medicine inside will be in your body. For more reassurance, talk to your doctor or pharmacist about how extended-release metformin tablets work.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Does metformin cause kidney damage?
Metformin by itself is unlikeley to cause kidney damage, but it is known to be excreted by the k...
Why does metformin make me nauseated?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
It appears that some people may be terminating metformin, a medication commonly prescribed for d...
Are runners more likely to get lactic acidosis from taking metformin?
Runners who take the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) and become dehydrated may be...