If I'm sick and can't eat, can I take my metformin without food?

You should always take the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) with a meal, so if you get sick and don't feel like eating, let your doctor know right away. You may need to stop taking metformin temporarily.

If you've been vomiting and/or have had diarrhea, your doctor will need to know that too. Both can lead to dehydration, which increases your risk of a condition called lactic acidosis, a buildup of lactic acid that can be extremely serious, and even cause death.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
How does the diabetes drug glucophage work?
Glucophage (metformin) treats type 2 diabetes by helping to control the amount of glucose (sugar) in...
Is my metformin tablet working if it sometimes shows up in the toilet?
If you're taking extended-release metformin tablets for type 2 diabetes, the shell of the tablet m...
What is metformin?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Introduced in the 1990s, metformin helps people with type 2 diabetes stabilize blood sugar levels by...