How does metformin help control glucose levels?

In December 1994, metformin (Glucophage) was approved for use by the Food and Drug Administration. It belongs to a class of drugs called the biguanides. Biguanides work differently than sulfonylureas. During times you are fasting, such as overnight, your liver releases glucose so that your cells have the energy they need. Biguanides lower blood glucose mainly by putting a brake on the liver’s release of stored glucose. They also hinder the absorption of glucose from food being digested in the small intestine. Biguanides may also lower insulin resistance in the muscles. Because metformin acts to decrease glucose release rather than increase insulin activity, there is little risk of very low blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia). Metformin has the added advantages of helping lower high blood lipid levels and promoting weight loss.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
What happens if I drink a lot while I am taking metformin?
Drinking a lot of alcohol while taking metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), especially over a short...
How should I take metformin?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You should always follow your doctor’s specific instructions for taking any medication, includin...
What should I avoid while taking metformin?
You should avoid excessive amounts of alcohol if you are taking metformin. Alcohol can increase ...