Is Glumetza (metformin) safe for pregnant or breast-feeding women?

Glumetza (metformin) is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breast-feeding because it is not known whether Glumetza may have harmful effects on the developing child. Talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or may become pregnant before starting Glumetza. Your doctor may have ideas for alternative treatments that may pose fewer risks to your child. Since it is also unknown whether Glumetza passes through breast milk, women should not take Glumetza while breast-feeding unless absolutely necessary. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about taking Glumetza while pregnant or breast-feeding.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Why does metformin make me nauseated?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
It appears that some people may be terminating metformin, a medication commonly prescribed for d...
What health problems besides diabetes may be treated with metformin?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Insulin resistance is one of the key factors leading to diabetes, but it is increasingly recognized ...
What should I avoid while taking metformin?
You should avoid excessive amounts of alcohol if you are taking metformin. Alcohol can increase ...