Is there a generic version of Glumetza (metformin)?

Currently, there is no generic version of Glumetza (metformin). Glumetza, which is manufactured by Depomed, Inc., is a long-acting form of metformin. There are several other medications that contain metformin, Glumetza's active ingredient. One such medication is the generic Metformin ER. However, this drug is only similar to Glumetza and is not used as an equivalent. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions about Glumetza or other long-acting forms of metformin.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
What is metformin?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Introduced in the 1990s, metformin helps people with type 2 diabetes stabilize blood sugar levels by...
How does the diabetes drug metformin work?
The diabetes drug metformin helps control and prevent diabetes by helping your muscles use more ...
What happens if I drink a lot while I am taking metformin?
Drinking a lot of alcohol while taking metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), especially over a short...