Do I always have to take metformin with food?

You should always take your metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) with a meal, unless your doctor has given you different instructions. Your doctor may start you on a low dose of metformin, which is used to control blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes, and then gradually increase your dose. You should check your blood sugar regularly so that you and your doctor can tell how well your medication is working.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
What health problems besides diabetes may be treated with metformin?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Insulin resistance is one of the key factors leading to diabetes, but it is increasingly recognized ...
What happens if I miss a dose of metformin?
MediGuardMediGuard
You want your glucose readings to go down and not up when you are treating diabetes. Don't skip a da...
What should I avoid while taking metformin?
You should avoid excessive amounts of alcohol if you are taking metformin. Alcohol can increase ...