Could I be allergic to metformin?

It's possible to be allergic to metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a prescription medication that's used to control blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. The signs of an allergic reaction to metformin include:
  • hives
  • trouble breathing
  • a swollen face, lips, tongue or throat

Get emergency medical help right away if you develop any of these symptoms. If it turns out that you are allergic to metformin, talk to your doctor about other ways to control your blood sugar levels.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Can I take metformin with insulin for my type 2 diabetes?
Metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) is a prescription medication that helps to control blood sugar le...
Is my father at risk of lactic acidosis from taking metformin?
Anyone who takes the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) can be at risk of developing...
How does metformin (Glucophage) help treat type 2 diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Metformin is an oral medicine used to treat type 2 diabetes. It lowers blood glucose by reducing...