Could I be allergic to metformin?

It's possible to be allergic to metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a prescription medication that's used to control blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. The signs of an allergic reaction to metformin include:
  • hives
  • trouble breathing
  • a swollen face, lips, tongue or throat

Get emergency medical help right away if you develop any of these symptoms. If it turns out that you are allergic to metformin, talk to your doctor about other ways to control your blood sugar levels.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
Can taking metformin help me live longer?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
There's one intriguing fact about metformin: it may increase longevity. Some of you may know that se...
Is there a generic version of metformin?
Yes, metformin is a generic version of brand names Glucophage, Fortamet, Glumetza and Riomet. It...
If I'm sick and can't eat, can I take my metformin without food?
You should always take the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) with a meal, so if you...