Can the diabetes drug metformin reduce the risk of prostate cancer?

Marc B. Garnick, MD
Hematology & Oncology
Some studies have shown that men with diabetes are less likely to develop prostate cancer than the general male population, perhaps because they take a drug called metformin, which affects insulin levels.

A retrospective analysis of who gets prostate cancer showed that men who had been taking the diabetes drug metformin were less likely to develop prostate cancer than those who weren't diabetics or who had been treated with insulin or other diabetes drugs.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Can Metformin cause kidney problems?
MediGuardMediGuard
Actually, metformin is usually not the original cause of kidney problems.  However, metformin is eli...
Is my metformin tablet working if it sometimes shows up in the toilet?
If you're taking extended-release metformin tablets for type 2 diabetes, the shell of the tablet m...
Do I have to monitor my blood glucose levels if I am on metformin?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Not everyone agrees with me on this, but I very strongly feel that everyone with diabetes should be ...