Can I take metformin with insulin for my type 2 diabetes?

Metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) is a prescription medication that helps to control blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. If you have this condition and are 17 or older and take insulin, your doctor may decide to add metformin to your therapy. You'll probably start on a low dose of metformin while continuing your regular dose of insulin. Your doctor may increase your dose of metformin if necessary until your blood sugar levels are under control. He or your pharmacist can tell you more about how metformin and insulin work together.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Is metformin effective?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Metformin is a first-line drug recommended for almost all patients with type 2 diabetes. Studies...
Is metformin safe for pregnant or breast-feeding women?
Metformin should not be used during pregnancy unless it is really needed and directed by the doc...
What should I know about metformin before taking it?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Your doctor will need to test your kidney function before starting treatment. Patients who take m...