Can I drink wine if I take metformin?

You should not drink wine or any other alcoholic beverage while you're taking metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), a prescription medication used to control blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. Alcohol lowers blood sugar and, while you're taking metformin, may increase your risk of a buildup of lactic acid. This buildup of lactic acid, known as lactic acidosis, can start slowly and get worse over time. In some cases, it can even cause death.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
Can Metformin cause kidney problems?
MediGuardMediGuard
Actually, metformin is usually not the original cause of kidney problems.  However, metformin is eli...
What is the right dose of taking Metformin if my blood sugar is increasing?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Was it Shakespeare that said “a man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client?” Regardless, I ...
Who should not take metformin?
People with kidney, liver or heart problems may not want to take metformin because it can cause ...