Can breastfeeding women take Glumetza?

Glumetza is the brand name of metformin in a modified extended release dosage form.  It is used to treat type 2 diabetes, a condition in which the pancreas does not sectrete enough insulin or the insulin that is secreted is not used effectively. It’s not clear how this medicine affects breast milk. It’s thought that nursing babies may receive very little of this drug, if any. Doctors recommend that new mothers either stop nursing or stop taking this drug.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
What happens if I drink a lot while I am taking metformin?
Drinking a lot of alcohol while taking metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), especially over a short...
Why is metformin a key medication for people with diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
For many years, the first-line medication for Type-2 Diabetes has been the pill called metformin...
Am I likely to get lactic acidosis from taking metformin?
Lactic acidosis -- a buildup of lactic acid in the body -- is a rare complication of taking metfor...