Can breastfeeding women take Glumetza?

Glumetza is the brand name of metformin in a modified extended release dosage form.  It is used to treat type 2 diabetes, a condition in which the pancreas does not sectrete enough insulin or the insulin that is secreted is not used effectively. It’s not clear how this medicine affects breast milk. It’s thought that nursing babies may receive very little of this drug, if any. Doctors recommend that new mothers either stop nursing or stop taking this drug.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
Is my metformin tablet working if it sometimes shows up in the toilet?
If you're taking extended-release metformin tablets for type 2 diabetes, the shell of the tablet m...
What is the right dose of taking Metformin if my blood sugar is increasing?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Was it Shakespeare that said “a man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client?” Regardless, I ...
What should I know about metformin before taking it?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Your doctor will need to test your kidney function before starting treatment. Patients who take m...