Are runners more likely to get lactic acidosis from taking metformin?

Runners who take the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) and become dehydrated may be at an increased risk of developing lactic acidosis. This condition, a buildup of lactic acid in the bloodstream, can be very serious -- even life threatening. Runners (and anyone who exercises a lot) who take metformin should drink plenty of water or other fluids.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
What is metformin?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Introduced in the 1990s, metformin helps people with type 2 diabetes stabilize blood sugar levels by...
What is the right dose of taking Metformin if my blood sugar is increasing?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Was it Shakespeare that said “a man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client?” Regardless, I ...
Is metformin safe for long term use?
Most people have mild side effects with metformin. This drug is safe for long term use; however ...