Are there any risks associated with taking Glumetza?

The major risk associated with taking Glumetza (metformin extended release) is a life-threatening medical condition called lactic acidosis. This condition, which is the buildup of lactic acid in the blood, requires emergency medical attention. The risk for this condition is increased if you have kidney, liver or heart problems, if you take medications for congestive heart failure, if you have surgery, if you get dehydrated or drink alcohol or if you have a heart attack or stroke. The risk for lactic acidosis and other serious side effects may also be increased if you're taking some other medications. Because of this, it's important to tell your doctor about any medical conditions or medications you're taking before starting Glumetza.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
What is the right dose of taking Metformin if my blood sugar is increasing?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Was it Shakespeare that said “a man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client?” Regardless, I ...
Can the diabetes drug metformin reduce the risk of prostate cancer?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
Some studies have shown that men with diabetes are less likely to develop prostate cancer than the g...
What should I avoid while taking metformin?
You should avoid excessive amounts of alcohol if you are taking metformin. Alcohol can increase ...