Am I likely to get lactic acidosis from taking metformin?

Lactic acidosis -- a buildup of lactic acid in the body -- is a rare complication of taking metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), but you could be at an increased risk for this condition if you're dehydrated or if you drink large amounts of alcohol. You're also at increased risk of lactic acidosis while taking metformin if you have any of the following:
  • liver disease
  • kidney disease
  • congestive heart failure
  • a severe infection

Lactic acidosis can be serious; it can even cause death. If you take metformin, you should talk to your doctor about your risk of developing this side effect.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin Drug: The New Fountain of Youth?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide – but the big news has nothing to do with di...
What happens if I miss a dose of metformin?
MediGuardMediGuard
You want your glucose readings to go down and not up when you are treating diabetes. Don't skip a da...
If I'm going to have surgery, can I keep taking my metformin?
If you are going to have surgery, talk to your doctor about whether you can keep taking metformin ...
What is the right dose of taking Metformin if my blood sugar is increasing?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Was it Shakespeare that said “a man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client?” Regardless, I ...