Am I likely to get lactic acidosis from taking metformin?

Lactic acidosis -- a buildup of lactic acid in the body -- is a rare complication of taking metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet), but you could be at an increased risk for this condition if you're dehydrated or if you drink large amounts of alcohol. You're also at increased risk of lactic acidosis while taking metformin if you have any of the following:
  • liver disease
  • kidney disease
  • congestive heart failure
  • a severe infection

Lactic acidosis can be serious; it can even cause death. If you take metformin, you should talk to your doctor about your risk of developing this side effect.

Continue Learning about Metformin

Metformin: Could This Common Drug Prolong Your Life?
Metformin, a common prescription drug that’s used to treat type 2 diabetes, is making headlines worldwide—but the big news has nothing to do with diab...
What health problems besides diabetes may be treated with metformin?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Insulin resistance is one of the key factors leading to diabetes, but it is increasingly recognized ...
How should I take metformin?
Metformin is taken in tablet or solution form. It comes in various dosages and is often used in...
Can I drink wine if I take metformin?
You should not drink wine or any other alcoholic beverage while you're taking metformin (Glucophag...