Why does breathing increase a person’s metabolism?

Pam Grout
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

When you breathe more oxygen into your body, several things happen to speed up your metabolism. First, the heat in your body rises. If you've ever had a backyard barbecue, you understand the principle of heat and oxygen. What do you do if that darn charcoal won't turn red? You blow on it! Likewise, the logs in a fireplace won't produce heat without oxygen. The more oxygen, the hotter the coals. The more oxygen, the bigger the fires.

Thin people, people with high metabolisms, have a much higher thermic rate. So to pump up your metabolism, you need to heat up your cells' burners by giving them more oxygen. By breathing deeply, you can literally reset your thermostat. Over time, you can build up your body's thermostat so it will always be better at burning up fat - while sleeping, sitting, or climbing Mount Everest.

Jumpstart Your Metabolism: How To Lose Weight By Changing The Way You Breathe

If you've tried every conceivable combination of diet and exercise and still can't shed those extra pounds, then perhaps you haven't discovered the hidden key to weight loss -- proper breathing. By...

Continue Learning about Metabolism and Weight Loss

The Benefits of Eating Your Food Slowly
The Benefits of Eating Your Food Slowly
Chances are, you were told as a kid to chew your food slowly so you didn't choke. Well, now there’s a new reason to chew your food. Eating fast makes ...
How can eating too little slow my metabolism?
Mental Fitness, Inc.Mental Fitness, Inc.
Besides not providing enough of all the vitamins, minerals and protein we need every day, not eating...
Does my body burn calories while I sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
A 2009 study conducted in Sao Paulo, Brazil, found that while sleeping you burn three times more...
3 Ways to Jumpstart Your Metabolism
3 Ways to Jumpstart Your Metabolism