What is starvation metabolism?

Many dieters work against themselves by starving their way into what's called starvation metabolism. This is when your poorly nourished body, sensing starvation, begins burning calories at a slower rate to survive longer. Once you're in starvation mode, you might eat very little -- but still find that you're packing on the pounds.

Continue Learning about Metabolism and Weight Loss

How to Hack Your Metabolism for Weight Loss
At a fundamental level, weight loss comes down to a simple formula: reduce your calorie intake, increase your activity level, and you’ll start to see ...
Does my body burn calories while I sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
A 2009 study conducted in Sao Paulo, Brazil, found that while sleeping you burn three times more...
How does skipping a meal affect my metabolism?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
One of the most important things you can do to ensure that your body burns a significant number of c...
Does Your Metabolism Need a Jumpstart?
Does Your Metabolism Need a Jumpstart?