What are some metabolism boosters?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

Metabolism boosters come in many forms from exercise to food. As a health care provider who has experienced menopause and the slowing down of the metabolism of a female in her 50's here are my favorites:

First: Eating smart! Decreasing calorie and portion size as we age and eating a healthy diet that includes foods with some natural estrogen to help with the hormonal changes will help to fight the resulting weight gain. I eat lots of fruits and veggies to fill me up and skip the empty calories.

Second: Cardio exercise at least 30 minutes a day as well as strength training exercises to build muscle and counteract the muscle loss of the aging process. Muscle burns more calories than fat and it is important to keep our muscle mass and keep up metabolism revved up so that we don't gain weight as we age.

Third: Moving. Just getting 10,000 steps a day will help to burn those calories and keep our metabolism in active mode. Couch potatoes are not burning calories they are gaining weight.

Continue Learning about Metabolism and Weight Loss

The Benefits of Eating Your Food Slowly
The Benefits of Eating Your Food Slowly
Chances are, you were told as a kid to chew your food slowly so you didn't choke. Well, now there’s a new reason to chew your food. Eating fast makes ...
How can eating too little slow my metabolism?
Dolvett QuinceDolvett Quince
The body needs the vitamins, minerals and protein from food to sustain energy. When you eat too litt...
What exactly is metabolism?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
Metabolism simply put is the sum total of all chemical processes that occur in your body on a daily ...
Are There All Natural Supplements to Boost Metabolism and Weight Loss?