What are some metabolism boosters?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

Metabolism boosters come in many forms from exercise to food. As a health care provider who has experienced menopause and the slowing down of the metabolism of a female in her 50's here are my favorites:

First: Eating smart! Decreasing calorie and portion size as we age and eating a healthy diet that includes foods with some natural estrogen to help with the hormonal changes will help to fight the resulting weight gain. I eat lots of fruits and veggies to fill me up and skip the empty calories.

Second: Cardio exercise at least 30 minutes a day as well as strength training exercises to build muscle and counteract the muscle loss of the aging process. Muscle burns more calories than fat and it is important to keep our muscle mass and keep up metabolism revved up so that we don't gain weight as we age.

Third: Moving. Just getting 10,000 steps a day will help to burn those calories and keep our metabolism in active mode. Couch potatoes are not burning calories they are gaining weight.

Continue Learning about Metabolism and Weight Loss

The Benefits of Eating Your Food Slowly
The Benefits of Eating Your Food Slowly
Chances are, you were told as a kid to chew your food slowly so you didn't choke. Well, now there’s a new reason to chew your food. Eating fast makes ...
Are there any all natural supplements to speed metabolism and weight loss?
Ellen WhitehurstEllen Whitehurst
One of Mother Nature’s best, most efficient diet foods is fresh bee pollen.  Studies have shown that...
How does metabolism influence weight loss?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Metabolism is a very important factor in your weight loss efforts. If you have been skipping meals, ...
How Does the Metabolism Influence Weight Loss?